Hjem Home digital organ Organ related Building a console - Console page 5
Building a console - Console page 5 Print E-mail
Written by Vidar Fagerjord   
Saturday, 24 July 2010 00:04
Article Index
Building a console
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
All Pages

Update 20. October 2010

Screwing up. That phrase could mean a lot of things, but fortunately in this case - I mean it literally. I cut a sheet of plywood to shape and made a back wall for the console. Before, it was kind of wobbly and there was no straight angles between the different parts what so ever. Boy, did that change!

I predrilled, countersunk and screwed 60 - sixty! - screws in order to secure the back wall solidly to the console. That proved to be "enough"! The back panel is screwed to the sidewalls, the keyboard bed and the top frame. Here's an image showing some details:

I marked the plywood with a centerline following the frame behind it. I then used the compass with a pencil mounted in it to mark the screw locations. Drill, countersink and screw. Repeat 59 more times...

I've stated in the Hauptwerk forums that I'm very happy that the images I take hides my mistakes to some degree. Oh, well! In the image above, a couple of mistakes is pretty obvious. I had my mind elsewhere and marked the centerline too low. Don't ask me how I did that, 'cause I don't know! Then you've probably already noticed that the nearest parts of the frame doesn't quite "add up". There's a piece of wood missing on the horizontal frame piece, and the lowest vertical piece is slightly offset from the back edge of the horizontal one. That really bugs me, but there's nothing I can do about it. Luckily, that part of the console will stand against a wall and never be shown. Hide your mistakes!

Anyway. I routed a 45 degree bevel on the edge of the backwall in order to make it less visible from the sides:

It's about a month since the last update, but that's just because I doubt that images of drying varnish is of any interest. I've added two coats of clear, semi-gloss waterbased varnish to all the "inside" surfaces. I'm going to do the outside last because of the risk of damaging the finish when I'm working on the project. I've also constructed a small frame / platform on which I've placed the console. The garage floor was anything but straight and true, and I needed a flat surface so that all the angles would be 90 degrees. Worked just great!

I've worked on the "stop jambs" as well, and the "keyboard compartment" is almost finished. Here's how the side wall is mounted:

The "jamb room":

The speakers will be placed on a platform at the back of the "jamb room". I am also considering a drawer at the bottom of the "stop jamb" for a computer keyboard - sometimes I'm going to need one, and I do not want a wireless keyboard for that - that's just another problem waiting to happen: no batteries left when I really need it!

Here's how the inside of the "keyboard room" looks like:

The vertical piece of wood is just screwed to the back wall and the jamb wall. There's one on the other side as well, and the music stand will be mounted to those two "pillars".

And a little overview of the console as it stands today:

Now the difficult tasks lies ahead. The front of the stop jambs will be angled, and I have to find a way to mount the front pieces so that they can hold a touchscreen without any problems. And it need to look decent too...

And that's all for now. I am working on the project at least once a week, but I have to admit that it is hard to keep the motivation up. On the other hand, looking at the console without looking for errors or obstacles makes me feel proud and happy. Not to mention when my father calls me "der orgelbauer". You can't put a price on that!

Update 2020:

Since I've moved to another part of the country, the console project is dead for now. I left the pieces behind when I moved - I did not have the space for them in the moving van.

But things are looking good: a new workshop is coming to life in the (former) garage in our house, and I have felled a HUGE oak which will be sawn into planks. In a couple of years, when the lumber is dried enough, I can start over on a new console built entirely from oak. I've learned a lot more about woodworking in the meantime, so I expect a better result than what I would've gotten before.


Last Updated on Wednesday, 04 March 2020 08:16
Copyright © 2020 Fagerjord.org. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.

Random image